NAPI recognized the need to provide funding for community projects and created the Navajo Pride Benefit Fund (NPBF); which is solely for non-profit and education/community based organizations. The NPBF provides a maximum of $5,000 per award that is allocated based on several categories and will be disbursed by November 1.
The applicants must meet the established criteria below for consideration. The applications will be reviewed, evaluated, and selected based on the prioritization matrix by the 6-member NPBF Committee by October. The NPBF Committee will exercise due diligence during the review process to ensure the applicant is supported by the community and reputable by requiring supporting documentation. All project selection and awards will be made at the discretion of the NPBF Committee. The NPBF Application submissions will not, in any way, create a right, entitlement, or contract for any applicant submitting a project proposal.
|Education/Youth/Senior/Veteran Development||To provide scholastic and skill building opportunities and resources through development programs that enhances communities and society.|
|Environment and Community Development; Capacity Builders||To promote, conserve and protect natural resources and related infrastructure for the benefit of future uses.|
|Economic Development||To promote job creation and growth through unique techniques and innovative solutions. Improve social services area that improve communities. Promote areas of entrepreneurship along with ideas that directly impact economic development such as promoting small business. Promote efforts that develop and utilize a skilled competitive workforce and that could impact employment issues. Promote efforts that promote workforce development.|
|Agriculture, Farming, Livestock; Energy, Sustainable, Renewable Projects; Health & Wellness||To promote the legacy of Navajo farming by promoting sustainability and creating a healthy nation. To promote sustainable projects in areas such as green houses, aqua-agriculture, irrigation, pollination, water management, soil conservation and composting.|
When applying, the organization must submit a completed NPBF Application with all required supporting documents to the NPBF Committee by 4:30 p.m. on September 28. Submissions should be marked "Attention: Navajo Pride Benefit Fund Committee" and submitted either:
- Electronically by email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Mailed to P.O. Box 1318, Farmington, N.M. 87499;
- Hand-delivered to NAPI Headquarters at 10086 N.M. Hwy. 371, Farmington, N.M. 87401
All contributions must comply with all applicable Navajo Tribal laws, rules, and regulations. The following activities are excluded from consideration and applications with such requests are ineligible to apply:
- Political organizations or campaigns and contributions for elected officials.
- Religious organizations for religious purposes. Projects or activities implemented by religious organizations, which provide non-secular services to the general community are acceptable.
- Environmental Advocacy Groups to fund litigation or operating expenses.
- Recurring expenses caused by shortfalls in government funding. NAPI funds are not meant to replace government services and programs.
- Individual benefit including salaries, wages or fringe benefits. (Exception is Scholarships)
- Travel/travel-related expenses, including but not limited to: Air fare, bus tickets, meals, accommodation, mileage and car rentals not aligned with Federal guidelines
- Entertainment costs associated with travel (e.g., tickets to events, etc.).
- Applications from government agencies for projects that do not directly benefit the community. It is particularly important that NAPI comply with the Navajo Nation Ethics in Government Law, 2 N.N.C. § 3741, et seq., which precludes corporate contributions to political candidates and generally, to tribal employees, elected officials, agencies, etc.
- Projects previously funded through the NTEC Community Benefit Fund.
- Organizations or Applicants who have received an award from the fund within the last (2) years.